Beta-2 Mobile Computer System
- Beta-2 mobile computer system.
- Chief designers: A. M. Larionov, V. I. Shteinberg.
Development engineers: A. M. Litvinov, A. T. Polunin, V. I. Alekseyev, I. F. Lygin, N. B. Shteingard.
- Designing organization: Research Institute of Computer Engineering (NICEVT) of the USSR Ministry of Radio Engineering (since 1986 - Research Institute NII Argon).
- Manufacturer: PO Zvezda (Sergiyev Posad), the USSR Ministry of Radioelectronic Production.
- Completion of development: 1972.
- Beginning of production: 1972.
- Termination of production: 1975.
- Field of application: military automated control systems.
- Number of machines produced: 12.
- Description: Beta-2 mobile computer system is meant for collecting, processing and displaying information in the form convenient for taking decisions and sending data to subscribers through communication channels. The complex consists of a computational system, telecode communication equipment, radio equipment and mobile electric power station.
The computational system includes Ritm-20 computer, control console, external memory devices and peripherals.
The high-performance Ritm-20 computer has architecture close to general-purpose machines. Its instruction set is optimized to specific tasks.
Representation of numbers - fixed and floating point.
Word length - 12 and 24 bits with fixed point; 48 bits with floating point.
Addition time - 2.4 ms with fixed point; 6.4 ms with floating point.
Multiplication time - 12 ms with fixed point; 22.4 ms with floating point.
Instruction set - Ritm-20, specialized.
Number of basic instructions - 62.
RAM capacity - 32,000 24-bit words; memory cycle - 4 ms.
ROM capacity - 32,000 24-bit words; memory cycle - 4 ms; access time - 1.5 ms.
NB-10 magnetic drum drive capacity - 200,000 24-bit words; access time - 20 ms
LPM-14 tape drive capacity - 3 x 512,000 24-bit words; waiting time - 45 s.
ACPU-64-5 alphanumeric printing device: speed - 250 lines per minute; line width - 64 characters; number of characters - 63.
FSM-7 photoreading device: speed - from 4,000 to 6,400 characters per second.
PL-150 output tape: punch speed - from 750 to 1,200 characters per second.
- Element base: Posol family ICs.
- Design: Ritm-20 computer has modular (small-block) design with four hierarchical levels - cell, panel, rotating frame and cabinet. The cell is mounted on a 175x75x11 mm double-sided printed circuit board with up to 30 mounting seats for Posol ICs. Cells and higher level units are interconnected with soldered wires and cable assemblies. The dimensions of a typical large cabinet - 1,500x750x590 mm; a small one - 802x750x590 mm.
- Technology: unified double sided printed circuit boards.
- Software: operating system, automated programming system with Ritm autocode, OS debugging utilities, diagnostics and troubleshooting programs, application software.
Weight, kg Size, mm Power consumption, W Computer unit 468 1,560х750х625 550 RAM 330 1,560х750х625 435 ROM 135 750x802x625 135
- Special features: hardware implementation of floating point instructions; new technological solutions which substantially influenced further development of mobile military computers.